Skip to main content

40 by 40: Days 3 and 4

I didn't get to post yesterday. My life is so damn busy and I hate even saying that. I feel like I need a vacation from everyday life, just for a couple of days. Hell, I'd even take solitary confinement and a book on a lumpy metal cot. At least I would be away from it all.

In any case, Day 3 was Cardio Core. I hate cardio. I didn't always hate cardio, but I do now. I don't know what triggered the hatred but I suspect it has to do with P90X and P90X3. They are both excellent programs, but since I chose the Lean path they were super heavy with cardio in order to maximize weight loss rather than tone the muscles. I'm grateful that 80 Day Obsession, at least this week, only has two cardio days, and honestly, it wasn't THAT bad. It's just not as enjoyable to me as weight training and isometric exercises. Everyone has their favorites I guess.

Today was better, it was AAA (Arms, Abs, Ass). I had to use sliders, which didn't come in the mail yet, so I used two frisbees that my kids got as plates when we went to breakfast last week. If you have a rug in your living room, frisbees work just as well as sliders. The moves were damn intense. One was called "frog" where you are in high plank position with your feet on the sliders (frisbees) and you move your leg like a frog does when it swims. The other was the same move except pulling the legs in without rotating them out. Holy hell my ass and abs were burning and sweat was pouring off of me. My wrists were KILLING me from holding myself up so I had to switch to fists and low plank (on my elbows) for part of the time, but the impact was the same. I have wrist issues in general but because my core is so weak, they hurt even more than they normally would. I hope as I get stronger this issue will ease up a bit. I also have push-up risers which I might try to see if the strain on my wrists is any less.

Tomorrow is my favorite workout subject: legs. Most people hate leg day, I love leg day because I don't have to do push-ups. I also love the burn I feel in my legs and thighs and butt. It's satisfying. Legs make up fifty percent of our bodies and my legs are long. So it's good.

Nutrition, like I said, is the hardest part for me. I'm a sugar addict and I have to stop it. So, I have to give myself some concessions or I will fall off the wagon completely. To do that, I will have a spoonful of peanut butter or some dark chocolate chips. I have to admit that I had a strawberry jam bar that my mom made, I felt guilty about it but it made me work out harder this morning, so I forgive myself.

That's super important. I don't think any of us can be expected to change overnight so we have to be lenient with ourselves as we learn that discipline truly does equal freedom. As time passes, I know that I won't even crave the sugar anymore but right now, I need the tiny bits of it.

The most important thing is to fight that voice in your head that says "I can't" and instead say, "I must". Do it, be honest with yourself, and know that it's an uphill climb, it's hard, but you can do it. I tell myself that everyday and when the cooldown shows up, I smile because I am proud that I finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison

I thought it might be interesting to compare the resume of Robert Mueller to that of Donald Trump. Care to take a peak? (I tried to keep it objective.) Robert Swan Mueller III Donald John Trump Sr. DOB August 7, 1944 June 14, 1946 Place of Birth New York City New York City Place Raised Philadelphia New York City High School St. Paul's, New Hampshire New York Military Academy High School Sport Captain of the Soccer Team Soccer Political Affiliation Republican Party Republican Party College Princeton Fordham Wharton University of Pennsylvania Degree Bachelor's in Politics Bachelor's in Economics Graduate School New York University Degree Master's in International Relations Military Marine Corp. Deferred Military Awards Bronze Star (with valor) Purple Heart Medal Navy Commendation Medal (2) (with ...

"Life is pain"

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." - Man in Black Have you ever had those days where you feel like the only lesson is the lesson above? That life is pain? I feel that way today. I'm sitting at my desk feeling self-conscious, feeling every ounce of depression I possess flowing through me. I feel alone, awkward, sad, uncertain...I feel pain. I feel loss. A close family member died rather suddenly. His fight was one he knew he wouldn't win. Cancer very rarely allows its opponent to succeed. The world lost another great man and here we are, those that loved him, in pain. Life is all about letting go, I know that. I know that this is a temporary existence but how can we reconcile that fact knowing that our time could be up any second? I don't want to live my life waiting. I want to live my life living. If there is a heaven and I get there, I want to make sure I did everything in my power to have the be...

The Monday Post Vacation...

...has got to be one of the worst damn days EVER!!! Now that that is out of my system I have to say, there is something beautiful about being in the White Mountains with no service on my cell. No reason to check Twitter, no exposure to the rantings of a lunatic. It's nice. It's pleasant. Now I'm back to the connected world and I don't know that I like it all that much. I looked up actions and quotes from guilty people and it's so strange to see that Trump's behaviors and tweets match to a T. He's so guilty that he's trying everything to stay to afloat and it's just scary. I see my kids do it. I ask my son, "Did you draw on the wall with sharpie?" He goes, "No, it was my sister." I ask him, "Are you sure you didn't draw on the wall?" He says, "No, I said it was my sister!" Then he throws the Sharpie and proceeds to have a tantrum...he's three. Trump is doing all the same things, and more, that ...