Skip to main content

Conservative America

Maybe I'm confused. Maybe my perception is not reality. Maybe I'm wrong but, I need to put this down, because it is how I see things.

If I were to ask my in-laws what conservatism means to them they would say, "Strong military, strong support for military, strong religious stance, pro-life."

If I were to ask my father what conservatism means, he would say, "Discrimination against everyone that disagrees with conservative beliefs."

If we boil down what my in-laws say, they are staunch conservatives in case that was unclear, they want to feel safe, they want our service members to be treated well and they want religion to be a part of our government.

The first part, fine. I want our service members to be treated well, too. They should be, they put their lives on the line and honestly, they deserve combat pay and all of the other things that come along with dedicating your life to a life of service for your country.

I do think, though, that we need to change our views of "strong military" to be more inclusive of peaceful missions, like giving food and aid, which I know we do, to countries that need it. I think the way to win peace is to make friends, not enemies.

As far as the "voting for the most religious candidate" thing goes, that's wrong. At least to me, it's wrong. I was raised Catholic, but when I become old enough to explore faith and spirituality, my parents let me. My husband's parents didn't allow him the same freedom.

Freedom of Religion is the same as Freedom from Religion, if that is what someone wants to believe. If someone wants to believe that God is non-existent, that's their right as a human being. It's not up to us to judge, and if you are a true believer, you believe those words as they are written in the Bible.

If I want to believe that Mickey Mouse is the Lord and Savior, it is my right as an American to believe it. No one is allowed to force me to believe otherwise. (I don't believe this, it's an extreme example to make a point.)

In a conservative America, religious freedom amounts to religious freedom to be Christian. That's not right. Yeah, it's frustrating that public schools aren't allowed to talk about Christmas, or Santa Claus but at the same time, they are not allowed to talk about Ramadan, etc. I don't agree with the avoidance of our public schools when it comes to religious topics, in fact, we should be teaching our kids acceptance. So while I understand why they don't talk about holidays at school, I think they should, in order to teach awareness and acceptance.

Whether you say "Merry Christmas" or not is up to you. Honestly, I've said it to non-Christians and they've simply said, "Thank you." It's only a big deal if we make it one.

Back to my topic: Conservative America

What does it look like to me?

White
Male
Christian* (*but not really)
Heterosexual
Gun Toting
Mean
Isolated and Alone

That doesn't sound fun to me. It sounds like hell, actually.

It's like we are being forced to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Are women expected to stand by their men, as property, to just get pregnant and serve them?
Are minorities expected to stand by whites, as property, to just serve them?
Are we supposed to stand idly by while white men of certain principles try to force us to believe as they do?

No thank you.

I'm white, female, Christian (really), heterosexual, non-gun toting, nice, collaborative.

Sometimes, I really resent my skin color because it is the first thing people see and they assume I'm like the assholes that voted for Trump. I'm not. My Dad is Native American. My skin is white, my heritage is a rainbow.

Shouldn't we be celebrating cultural differences instead of being afraid of them? Yeah, we should. Why don't we? White men don't want to lose power.

Look at the way things are right now. Gerrymandering is a tool to get the weirdo white dude votes. Most people want the open minded candidates because America is a unique social experiment that was working until Russia fucked it all up with the help of these weirdo elected GOP.

What does America look like to the hopefuls fleeing war torn countries? Not this. Not kids in cages. Not Trumpism.

America is the land of the free and the home of the brave. Not the land of men and the home of the enslaved.

Can we beat this? This Ohio ruling is really troubling, can we beat this? How can we with voter suppression? How can we with gerrymandering? Cheating? Russian meddling? Disinformation campaigns? Bots?

I don't know. I really don't. However, I do know that we have no choice but to beat this.

The alternative is too terrible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday Post Vacation...

...has got to be one of the worst damn days EVER!!! Now that that is out of my system I have to say, there is something beautiful about being in the White Mountains with no service on my cell. No reason to check Twitter, no exposure to the rantings of a lunatic. It's nice. It's pleasant. Now I'm back to the connected world and I don't know that I like it all that much. I looked up actions and quotes from guilty people and it's so strange to see that Trump's behaviors and tweets match to a T. He's so guilty that he's trying everything to stay to afloat and it's just scary. I see my kids do it. I ask my son, "Did you draw on the wall with sharpie?" He goes, "No, it was my sister." I ask him, "Are you sure you didn't draw on the wall?" He says, "No, I said it was my sister!" Then he throws the Sharpie and proceeds to have a tantrum...he's three. Trump is doing all the same things, and more, that

Moods

It's important to document how I feel when I'm depressed. It's important to document the triggers. Most often depression is triggered by a horrible fact that is far too close to home. For me, today, it was that small boy with a quivering lip, in a cage, wanting his mommy. I often have to remind myself that I can't heal the world. I'm such an empath that I legitimately feel the pain of those that are suffering. For many years I successfully ignored the news because it was bad for me. When Trump announced his candidacy I knew I wouldn't be able to ignore it any more. Smartphones also make it hard to ignore, what with all the alerts, etc. I try to turn that negativity into a positive, but I'm having a really hard time right now. Usually, we see good things happening but recently, it's all been bad or awful. I don't feel good about things. Yes, I suffer from a deep clinical depression with a primary symptom of guilt. As if that wasn't enoug

Degradation of the Office of the President

Yesterday I tweeted: "Trump has degraded the office of the presidency so much. Before him, I thought the President was the most informed member of our society. I believed they relied on our IC and made careful informed decisions with national security in mind. I do not feel that way about Trump. In fact, I think he’s a fool. The way the world looks at him and the fact that he is supposedly representing the American people is insulting to me. His constant attacks on our DOJ and IC and the media, his ignorance of tragedies and victories of minorities, are appalling. His policy to rip migrant children away from the parents and putting them in what is essentially a jail is despicable. Then, there are the constant lies. The gaslighting. The manipulation and abuse. The people that follow him with no full understanding of why, the congress that refuses to do their job and hold him accountable...it’s honestly unreal. It’s so easy to become desensitized but don’t. Take a minute