Skip to main content

Two Sides of the Same Coin

I've spoken openly about my illnesses. I have anxiety and depression and have suffered with both my entire life. I know I say "illnesses" but in truth, they are two sides of the same coin. Today, I'm having a very hard time struggling with cognitive distortion.

If you don't know what cognitive distortion is, you probably have dealt with it but just don't know if by name.

One example:
I can't do anything right. I'm the worst. Everyone hates me.

Another example:
What would happen if I jumped in front of that train?

These thoughts happen to all of us but I swear that my vivid imagination deliver them to me in ultra 3D and sometimes, it's too much to bear.

Today, I feel like I'm being bombarded with negative thoughts and I am trying to hone in on why and can't come up with anything.

In therapy, they teach you to "HALT" and think are you H-hungry, A-Angry, L-Lonely, T-Tired? Hungry? No, I ate. Angry? Yeah, but I'm always at some level of angry lately given the president. Lonely? No, I have my family and my friends around. Tired? Yeah, of course, I'm a mom of two young kids, I'm always tired. So what is it?

It's gloomy outside, but I like the gloom. I like rain, it makes me happy to see the world being renewed and refreshed.

It's also my 13th wedding anniversary but that's a happy occasion not a depressing or anxious one.

Sometimes, I wish I didn't have depression/anxiety. I wish I didn't need medication. I wish I was "normal". Then, I realize that I really don't. If everything in life is a trade-off and my depression/anxiety is the price to pay for my creative and intelligence, I guess I'll take it.I will gladly admit that sometimes, I hate it. It feels like this demon on my back that I can't shake and it pisses me off when it starts needling me. Today it's extra bitchy.

Maybe it's just the fact that kids are being intentionally harmed by our government, or that the president lies to us everyday and people continue to thank him for it, or that we keep allowing our government representatives to visit Moscow even after the act of war they committed in 2016. That would be like Bush's administration actively going to visit with Osama bin Laden post 9/11. What Russia did was reprehensible and they should not be give our attention for what they did. They should be blocked, not praised.

Maybe I'm just done with the dog and pony show. I'm done with this two bit reality TV asshole lying, cheating and stealing and harming everyone and everything that he possibly can. He's an evil vengeful thug that doesn't deserve a pot to piss in let alone the Oval Office.

I don't blame people with conservative beliefs, Trump isn't conservative. I don't blame extreme leftists, they just want what's best for all. I believe deep down most people are good and most people do want what is best. I don't believe that about Trump. He doesn't want what is best.

Trump wanted to become president so he could say, "I'm president and you're not, so there!" and that's it. He has no agenda. He has no principles. He has nothing to offer. He can't function without an enemy to combat. As much as I love Obama speaking out for democrats, it also sucks because it gives Trump a supposed enemy. In Trump's mind everyone that dissents against his opinions is his enemy. Do you have any idea how dangerous that is? Yes, you do. If you're reading my blog, you do.

In any case, I have to get myself together today. I have to shove this asshole demon off my back and move forward.

Onward...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday Post Vacation...

...has got to be one of the worst damn days EVER!!! Now that that is out of my system I have to say, there is something beautiful about being in the White Mountains with no service on my cell. No reason to check Twitter, no exposure to the rantings of a lunatic. It's nice. It's pleasant. Now I'm back to the connected world and I don't know that I like it all that much. I looked up actions and quotes from guilty people and it's so strange to see that Trump's behaviors and tweets match to a T. He's so guilty that he's trying everything to stay to afloat and it's just scary. I see my kids do it. I ask my son, "Did you draw on the wall with sharpie?" He goes, "No, it was my sister." I ask him, "Are you sure you didn't draw on the wall?" He says, "No, I said it was my sister!" Then he throws the Sharpie and proceeds to have a tantrum...he's three. Trump is doing all the same things, and more, that

Moods

It's important to document how I feel when I'm depressed. It's important to document the triggers. Most often depression is triggered by a horrible fact that is far too close to home. For me, today, it was that small boy with a quivering lip, in a cage, wanting his mommy. I often have to remind myself that I can't heal the world. I'm such an empath that I legitimately feel the pain of those that are suffering. For many years I successfully ignored the news because it was bad for me. When Trump announced his candidacy I knew I wouldn't be able to ignore it any more. Smartphones also make it hard to ignore, what with all the alerts, etc. I try to turn that negativity into a positive, but I'm having a really hard time right now. Usually, we see good things happening but recently, it's all been bad or awful. I don't feel good about things. Yes, I suffer from a deep clinical depression with a primary symptom of guilt. As if that wasn't enoug

Degradation of the Office of the President

Yesterday I tweeted: "Trump has degraded the office of the presidency so much. Before him, I thought the President was the most informed member of our society. I believed they relied on our IC and made careful informed decisions with national security in mind. I do not feel that way about Trump. In fact, I think he’s a fool. The way the world looks at him and the fact that he is supposedly representing the American people is insulting to me. His constant attacks on our DOJ and IC and the media, his ignorance of tragedies and victories of minorities, are appalling. His policy to rip migrant children away from the parents and putting them in what is essentially a jail is despicable. Then, there are the constant lies. The gaslighting. The manipulation and abuse. The people that follow him with no full understanding of why, the congress that refuses to do their job and hold him accountable...it’s honestly unreal. It’s so easy to become desensitized but don’t. Take a minute